Saturday, August 11, 2018

Over the speed limit

August 12 I will be 60 years old. So hang in there with me because I am looking back. The time seems to have flown by.

This is the wedding picture of Maria Valster and Gerrit Van Zee my maternal grandparents


This is Emma Boot and Jacob Spoelstra's wedding picture


Wilma Van Zee and Arie Spoelstra married and as they say to this union 4 children were born. Their eldest son Terry died when he was 9 months old.


This is Marlys and me. Sitting all nice and happy for a picture.

I think I was always following along behind her when I was young. When your sister is 2 years older she knows so much more than you do.

But I think she took advantage of that at times. Do you notice who gets all the checkers. That's right the little kid gets told what to do.


All dressed up in our winter finery on the front porch where we grew up

Ah, yes, seconds later when the camera takes the next picture I have a feeling I got smacked by my older sister in between. She still has that angelic smile asking "what's the matter, I didn't do anything."

Then Crissie came along and I had someone to push around.


What an idyllic scene. 3 happy children 

Oh, wait a minute don't touch that, it's mine. I remember one Christmas, Crissie got nicer presents than I did, so I traded her. No I did not ask her if she wanted to trade. Fact is when I say traded I mean I just flat out stole hers. Hey life's tough kid get used to it. There is always someone going to try to push you around.

We all went off to school. This was way before lunch was served at school. Look at those wonderful lunch boxes. 


We had our pictures taken after church one Sunday morning. 


Dad standing proudly (I hope) behind his 3 children. Mom was the one who knew how to run that old camera. Taking pictures was a big deal back then. This camera had to be held absolutely still because of the long exposure. I remember mom had it propped up on a garden tool to keep it steady.


The night this picture was taken, we had to go to a local motel. Families were waiting in one room while pictures were taken in the next room. I have no idea how long we had to wait, but to me at the time it seemed like hours. See how happy and smiling I was by this point.

And then we lived through the phenomenon that was the early 70s. Crazy man.

I don't remember sitting in a chair the way they were meant to be used.

Leisure suits, way cool. How many polyester were slaughtered to make that sartorial splendor?  


1980 came and went. I met Sharon. Decided I better hang onto this one and have never regretted it. 
 

That was back in the day when the newly weds car was decorated by those young men who were single. Wow, look at the leather jacket and the hat. I know all the men are jealous and wish they had a photo like that of themselves.

Joshua was born. I'm a dad!

Then Micah and last came Matthew.


The 3 amigos. 


Our sons were growing up as part of a "farm" family and we never thought it would be any different.  

 

 The years went past and left a lot of fond memories.

 

And somehow we got older. Dad and Mom passed and now my sisters and I are the old generation.
So as I turn 60 I can say it has been a blast most of the time. I think some people would look at our lives and ask how can you say that. There have been health issues. There have been financial disasters. I was almost killed in a farm accident when I was 15. Missed half a year of school and was left with nerve and muscle damage. But through it all God has been faithful. Looking back I know it has been the adversity that has made me who I am. It has been the tough times that showed me who God is. 
My grandfather Van Zee was blind. My father was deaf. How could I complain when my forefathers had such disabilities.
This week Tuesday morning I told Sharon I was taking the day off. I deserved one I have been working 6 days a week and leading worship services on Sundays. She told me "you need to buy a house." I'm not sure if she was serious, but oh well.

Then she left for at least part of the day. That'll teach her. Our real estate agent called me at 11:30. "I am just pulling up to a house. I haven't even been in it yet but it is going to need a cash buyer. No bank will lend on it. you interested?"


I replied "give me 10 minutes and I will be there." Court ordered notice to the sheriff for eviction of tenant on the front door. Real Estate agent and I calculated $60,000 in needed repairs to make the house sell-able. She shot me a price. I replied at 80% of what she thought and I bought a house. That should keep me busy for the next few months and I won't be thinking about taking any "days off". So at least I have my first project lined up for my sixth decade.I wouldn't want to start slacking off at this point.



































1 comment:

  1. I'm in college now and often have to write essays about the history of the state and my hometown. I’m still young, so I entrusted such work to a professional writer - https://www.affordable-papers.net/. However, when I look at your photos I think that I could make a story on my own based on this information. Thank you for sharing and many years!

    ReplyDelete