Saturday, October 21, 2017

A Painted House.

John Grisham authored the book "A Painted House". He writes-
...I headed for the Mexicans. "Buenos Dias." I said to the group. "co'mo esta'?"
All nine answered in some fashion. They were going back to the barn for another wasted day. I walked along with them until I was far enough away that my parents couldn't hear. "Y'all want to paint some?" I asked....
Ten minutes later three of the six paint buckets were open and there were Mexicans hanging all over the west side of our house. They fought over the three brushes. ( A Painted House by John Grishom, page 348 published by Doubleday 2001. )
In August I was contacted by Chris Hurley of Joshua Christian Academy if I would paint a house that had been donated to the school in Des Moines. In a weak moment I agreed. We have a paint sprayer and have painted several of our houses.
There is a difference though, between painting a house that has just had all new siding and trim installed
The corners are all so crisp and straight. The siding has no old uneven paint and the end result just looks sharp. (at least from the curb)
They paint fast and a house can be finished in a day and a half. One day to paint the siding and the next morning paint the trim.
Well, I went up to Des Moines on Tuesday morning to start painting the house. Had been pushed back since the end of August as the contractor was getting the house scraped and the bad siding replaced. 


I was surprised to find the siding was not all on the house yet and the windows still needed to be replaced. I thought, well here we are the 3rd week of October and we are running out of time so I will paint what I can. 
I had to leave at noon on Tuesday and as I loaded my pickup I realized I was in trouble. I had some of the primer and a small portion of the finish paint on. 
Sharon and I went to visit Joan and Tony that afternoon and I asked if they would have any time to help paint a house. Joan told me her father loved to paint. So I went to see Marvin. Marvin is 89 years old and still stays busy. "Hey Marv, Y'all want to paint some?" Yea, he thought he could make that work.
Marvin is a good man with a paint sprayer. We got most of the body of the house painted on Wednesday. I went back on Thursday to see how much of the rest I could get done. 
I hate to leave a job unfinished but with the windows still needing to be replaced, the rake boards rotten on the ends and having spent two and a half days on what I thought would be a 12 hour job it was time to walk away. The only way we got as far as we did is because Marvin is still out there donating time and expertise at the young age of 89. It showed me that you are never too old to give of your time and talents to build the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment