Saturday, November 18, 2017

Are we making progress yet?

Sometimes you get to the end of the week and you have to ask yourself just exactly what did I accomplish this week. That is when it really helps that you have been taking pictures with your phone
Here is the starting point 2 weeks back

Here is where the room was at on Friday evening. It is actually starting to look livable. And I did not smash any fingers installing this floor. Although I will have to admit I started it on Thursday afternoon and I was fighting every plank to get them to lock. I did a bunch of other stuff on Friday because I did not want to go back to fighting this floor. Mid afternoon I finally went back to the floor and was having a terrible time getting the planks to lock when it suddenly occurred to me. Hey dummy this is Tarkett floor, where is your 10 inch piece of 2x4. I went and cut a piece off the junk pile outside the house and the floor just started locking perfectly. ( if you are wondering you smack the side of the plank with the 2x4 and they fit snuggly into place) I think I am getting old when I forget those short cuts. (I also lost 2 pair of gloves this week, did find one pair on Saturday though. I had laid them down in our storage garage).
This is the living room looking to the east 2 weeks ago. 
Here is the same room looking west after Micah was done with it today. 

When we bought the house both Sharon and Micah said the kitchen counter top had to go. I had told Micah I was thinking about tiling it. His response was "does any one do that?"
Tuesday I stripped off the old Formica top 
And prepped it for tile. Wednesday morning I mentioned to Sharon that I was going to use the tile we had left from another project on the counter. Hey free counter top. Sharon was not amused. Her comment, I believe was "you know I hate tiled counter tops" 
Ah, but you know how it is. I was alone at the house. That was the first mistake for those who did not want a tiled counter. 

I had 3 boxes of tile in storage, that was just gathering dust and needed to be used. No one had thrown those out, so that was their second mistake.

Personally I think it turned out just fine.

And I am willing to bet no one is going to redo it either. I did the labor, Third mistake. Strike three, I win!!


And then there was Monday's project. When we bought the house the owner told us the basement drain was plugged. I had Cody come to try to open it. He gave up after he found the trap was filled with cement. Hammer drill and a chisel to break out 8 inch thick concrete. Now that is more fun than a man should be allowed to have on a Monday afternoon.

Well lookee there, a brand new basement drain. I even wisely left the cover on the new drain that is there to keep idiots like me from getting concrete in the new drain till I had it all troweled in.
As I write this at 7 pm on Saturday, Patrick is putting up sheet rock and taping the bathroom ceiling and walls. I know when you look at this picture you ask "why would Royce want those art deco walls changed?" Tenants can be so picky sometimes. Patrick asked me on Wednesday if I had any work for him. He was just walking by and stopped to see if we needed any labor. I said no and then he said, "I do sheet rock taping and texturing".  Bingo, those are magic words. Come on, buddy I have a bathroom to show you. I picked up the sheet rock this morning and he wanted to do the work tonight so he could texture the walls on Monday and get paid. Said he needs the money. 
He told me I would be impressed with the work done when I saw it tomorrow morning. I told Patrick I wouldn't see it in the morning because it was Sunday and I was going to church. I think that was way outside of the norm for Patrick. As I was driving home I thought the only difference between me and Patrick is, God has blessed me. 
That was brought home to me this week when I met Frank in Walmart. Frank asked me how many tenants owed us money. I said none. Frank looked at me and said "God has really blessed you hasn't He?
Yea, God has really blessed us and every day I wonder why. May your next week be as productive and blessed as my past week has been.


No comments:

Post a Comment