Saturday, December 2, 2017

Aw Progress we can see

 We showed the house we have been working on to a prospective tenant today. They are renting another one of our houses but are looking for something larger.

They had driven past the house and were not impressed by what they saw. But when they saw the inside they had a completely different opinion. 
The outside still needs some work and much of the work will have to wait till spring and warmer weather. The house has aluminum siding that someone in their wisdom thought at one time would look just fabulous with a sort of pink color painted on it. I really don't think that was the best choice available. They tell me it has to be above 50 degrees to paint but it is going to be a long time till April looking at that travesty of a color..

We know we are getting closer to the end when we can start closing doors to rooms and say "that room is finished". Micah actually even laid the last flooring in a room today. Yea, I could bring the flooring saw blades home.
Its always a good feeling to know your improvements are appreciated. What was really appreciated was after Jeremy looked at the house today, He said ,"I have to go home and pray about this". Hey Jeremy that is so cool, yes go home and pray about if you should move. Ask God about what He wants you to do every day. The large things and the small things. Jeremy made my day today.
Spent too much time this week working on the bathroom of the house. Patrick had finished the sheet rock over a week ago and I had too many small projects waiting until the bathroom was to a certain point.
Maybe the tile is not grouted yet but at least it is on the wall around the shower. Do you see my mistake beside the window on each side? I was staggering the tile and put two in without the offset. I saw it the day after I had installed the tile and thought about fixing it for about half a second. I had measured so precise that I had exactly 1 tile left over so I would maybe, have been able to peel those two off and cut the required new pieces out of the 2 I had with one backup piece. Naw, looks good enough. I am going to just assume everyone will think I wanted it this way.
And look ma, there is a toilet. How cool is that, we even provide toilets in our houses. I had to pick it back up and reset it 3 times, once to put in an extra wax ring because the flooring raised the clearance, once because a bolt spun and wouldn't tighten down, and once because when I came back into the bathroom there was an inch between the tank and the back wall on one side and close to 2 inches on the other side. I think it is straight now, at least I am not picking that sucker up again. I one time dropped the tap to a new toilet seat into a brand new toilet. Never used but it was still a moment of mental anguish before I could use MY hand to fish out that tap. I know its a mental thing, but hey can you stick your hand in a toilet? So what I am saying here is I did not want to spend anymore time on that toilet today. I may be scarred for life already.
There was a house auctioned on-line couple of weeks ago. You bid on the house as is, where is, and you are not allowed into the house. They give you fair warning that anyone who tries to see inside the house may face prosecution for breaking and entering. Now before you start thinking that I am a complete moron, Sharon and I had walked through the house a year ago when it was listed with a local broker. We did have some idea of what shape it was in. The one big problem we found when we were given the lock box number and could access the house on Wednesday was it had a FUSE BOX. Our insurance company has a policy, NO FUSE BOXES. Rich and his crew showed up on Friday and got it changed out. 
Micah claims all we need in this next house is just floors and paint. Yea, sure, somehow there are always surprises. I will admit, though he did lay about 1000 square foot of flooring in the one we are in now, and I let him do it. Well, OK, I did occasionally take the tools out of his hands and place a plank for him. That was just an educational move. In my defense he did the same thing to me a couple of times earlier when we were in the deconstruction stage.
I leave you with this lovely picture of pinkish siding with a hole repaired in it so you can share my pain, but remember you just have to look at it once. I have to suffer all winter and part of next Spring.










No comments:

Post a Comment