Friday, April 20, 2018

Rooms

     This week I could finally start seeing progress on our project house. There were times when I wondered if it would ever clean up well and look decent.
     The bathroom was such a disaster when we took possession. Had to get rid of the door, the window, the toilet, the vanity, the medicine cabinet. the shower, floor and the sheet rock. Yes that is mold between the toilet and the vanity. You can kill mold but I just tore out the sheet rock and the insulation behind it and started with new material.

     While I was tearing everything out I thought I could just as well move the drain lines and the water supply lines as well. That way I could spin the vanity and put in a longer one. Had to redo the furnace vent to make the longer vanity fit. I still need to caulk around the tub hang a mirror and put in a few pieces of trim. I am about to call the bathroom finished.
The kitchen still has a long ways to go but I did work on that set of open shelving.

     I was pleased with the way it turned out. It looks like it was always there and I was able to match the stain on the woodwork with the rest of the kitchen.


     The north bedroom was a bit of a fiasco, but it is also just about finished.

 New window is in, the wall and ceiling are painted. The new floor is in and most of the woodwork is installed. I just have to put in the door when the living room floor is laid. It is always good to back out of a room and say, that one is done.
     These lovely windows went to the landfill and the new ones are in.

     They are all trimmed out. I have a policy of never throwing away the old interior door jambs. The wall here was 8.5 inches wide. I had to fill in 5.75 inches of wood to get even with the sheet rock. Those old door jambs are usually cut from a good piece of wood. I was able to re-cut them to size and stain the wood and trim out the windows with out buying a single piece of wood.  

     I bought most of the doors this morning and was able to get a couple of them in today.
     There has been a change of plans and I am not going to use the aged pine wood look. There was too much wood I thought I could leave in the kitchen and the closet doors if we went with a dark stain. It really pained me to stain a brand new oak door "cognac" but it is a color that really seems to work in this house.
     So it has been slowing down the progress a little because I have to stain all of the wood and then put polyurethane on it. But the dark color goes well with the gray paint. At least that is what I think and I am the only one that matters here, so we are good! 
     Yesterday I laid the floors in the bedrooms so I started trimming out the south bedrooms today.
     

     Room by room it is starting to come together. 


     There is still a lot of work to be done in the interior and once we are finished inside, the house needs a new roof and siding outside.
     Getting to a place I could start thinking rooms were about finished reminded me today of something Jesus said. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 
     I am getting rooms ready for someone to live in. There is a need for housing in Oskaloosa right now. I had 3 people contact me this week to ask if we had any houses open. My answer had to be, not now but I am working on one.
     We need a room to live in for eternity also. Jesus has gone on to prepare that room for us. It will be a room in God's house. A perfect room where we will be filled with joy and live in relationship with God. Now that is a room worth waiting for and it will be perfect!



No comments:

Post a Comment