Sunday, September 8, 2019

Love them now

I was wondering what I was going to write this week. I spent most of the week just putting a new roof on this house. I would have preferred just stretching a story of putting on a roof.

But yesterday morning I was contacted that Kevin had been killed in an accident by Des Moines. Sharon and I went to visit his widow. I find that hard to believe and write that Linda is a widow.


Last night I said to Sharon, " I can not even imagine what it would be like to start the day as normal and to have you ripped out of my life before evening." 
 
I am blessed to have three sons and their wives. 

Fixing houses should never be more important to me than people. If a house burns down or is blown away, what would it matter in the long term, but if one who I love is gone, the pain would never stop completely.

I expect my house to be filled with family sometimes and I know the horror that a death brings. It leaves an empty spot in your heart that can not be filled. 

I tell people we do not mourn "for" the one who died, if they know Jesus as their savior they are now with God. We mourn for ourselves because we are left here bereft with a hole in our lives we can not fill.

I rely on extended family to be there in the times of trouble and need.

 
Sometimes just for a little help like when those young guys helped Tony move furniture to his apartment.



The Spoelstra cousins reunion was Friday and almost everyone was there, including Uncle John. Being part of a family is a gift that is beyond value.
What I am saying is if you have family and friends cherish them. Don't neglect them. You do not know how long they or you, will be here on this earth.
 
I am privileged to be able to work with Matthew and 

Micah sometimes, as we are in business together.


I cherish Josh and Casey and am always glad to see them walk through the door, especially if they are carrying a suitcase and are moving into our basement for a few days. 


I took this picture of a boy watching me work, (hope you don't mind if I use it again Meghan). Don't look at others through a window or from a distance. Get involved with the people in your life. Don't build walls and barriers instead open doors and build roads to others.



Take time to share food and fun. Build relationships so you have a support network when disasters happen.
Yesterday evening I stopped by the house of a young man. He mentioned the accident by Des Moines. I said "Kevin is Ok, he knew Jesus as his savior. It is the ones left behind who are troubled." I know this young man's mother is praying that he will come to know he needs a savior. This terrible accident gave me the opening to tell this young man about Jesus again.
I am glad I have a relationship with that young man and many others, some who would come to help me in time of need, others who I help out. Fill your world with people. God made us to be in relationships. Jesus said "a new command I give you, love one another".
Love them now, tomorrow might be too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment