Sunday, January 19, 2020

That wasn't my plan

It is small deeds of thoughtfulness that are appreciated.

We have a storage building beside a tenant's garage. Last year the kids that live in the house would shovel a path for me to the door of our building. This week they had shoveled the entire cement pad. Thanks a lot guys it made my day.


Finished up the house we were working on. The window in the shower is totally waterproof. The tile surround fit tight up against a vinyl window. The new tenants and I agreed we did not want to hang a waterproof curtain in front of it for privacy. Trying something we have not done before. There is an opaque film stuck onto the glass. It allows in light but can not be seen through. It is supposed to look like water running down the glass. Well, it fit best if I put it on sideways. Now it looks like water is running across the glass. Maybe, it sort, of gives the impression of a strong wind blowing the water?


Carried all the tools out of the kitchen.


Cleaned up the cupboards and carried out all the plumbing and electrical supplies.


Took all of the power tools out of the house and swept the floors. Tenants were carrying stuff in as I was carrying stuff out.


Did the required updates to the furnace and water heater to get them up to code.


Enclosed the stairs to within 29 inches from the floor.


Cleaned everything out of the storage cabinets and installed a couple of new shelves.


Reinstalled the washer and dryer the correct way.


Emptied the garage. About half went to our storage and the other half to the landfill.


Put an new spring and pulley on the garage door. I think this is the first time the door has been closed in a long time. A lot of dirt on that baby.
It is always a good feeling to move out of a house because it is finished. Exactly 31 days from purchase to fixed and Christmas and New Years day were in that time frame. I had told the tenants that I was going to try to have it finished by February 1st but could make no promises. They had contacted me if we had a house open while it was still a real mess. Walked through it anyway and rented it on the spot. That was not how I saw it playing out. It was definitely not the plan I had in place.
We have one house left to remodel this year. Last year at this time I was wondering if there were enough days to get everything done before the snow flew again. This year I am wondering what I am going to fill my time with after May 30. It is a lot less stress this year. Last year I kept telling myself whatever gets done, gets done. The rest will just have to wait till next year. Ok, so I was lying to myself and kept thinking we are not going to do this again. Too much work too little time. 
We not only finished all the siding and roofs we had on the list in January 2019 we did an extra house roof and siding in August, and put 3 roofs on houses and garages we purchased in the Fall after the middle of October.
I often find that my plans are not God's plans. I can build my calendar and figure out how my time will be used and it seldom turns out the way I had planned. I find it a great joy to see how God works. There are times when I have to stop and tell myself,"hey, don't stress out here, God is still in control and He's got this." 
Those who are Landlords or attorneys are surprised when they hear we have never had to evict a tenant. This week I started our first eviction process. As of yesterday it is beginning to look like we may not have to follow through with an eviction. Once again it looks like God is solving the problem for us.
Will God resolve the issue my way? Most likely not, but His way is always better. God's way builds His Kingdom, my way is usually an attempt to make my life easier or better.
I have to remind myself I am not in charge. It is my job to shovel the path so God can do the work. (see I did get back to those kids shoveling a path for me.) Take care of the details because God is coming to build his kingdom.










No comments:

Post a Comment