Sunday, June 7, 2020

Changes

Last weekend we had some tenants doing some landscaping on their yard.


Behind that large Maple tree there is an old stone fireplace with a chimney. Jared is building an out doors entertaining space in front of the outdoor hearth.


He has replaced the railing by the steps up from the driveway with a piece of driftwood. Usually when a new tenant moves in they are excited about having a yard, but then the flowers all get mowed and they never step onto the yard except to grudgingly mow it. We have several tenants now who are making some nice outdoor living spaces and it is great to see.


Monday the deal closed on this house. My days are suddenly more than full of work to do.


Monday late afternoon I did a walk through on this house. The outside is well cared for.


Even a 2 car garage behind the house. The owner told me it needed some work in the inside before I showed up. I was thinking that it couldn't be that bad from the way the outside looks. The owner was right. Made him an offer of 77% of asking price and he accepted the next day.


Once the deal closes next month, one of my first calls will be to Rich. We will need this collection of fuse boxes replaced with a breaker panel. Oh, and Rich if you read this, it is only 60 amp service coming in so it needs a new mast and meter and wire to the panel as well.


In the house we took possession of Monday there were some walls and ceilings that needed plaster work.


Some one years ago had made repairs.


I think it might have been the first time they ever picked up a mud knife.



Once the walls were relatively smooth, it was time to shoot some texture.



I did every room except the bathroom.



I hate painting ceilings. All the ceilings needed to be painted. That 5 foot extension for the roller was a neck and knee saver this week. I painted 3 ceilings from the floor. No ladder needed. I also painted 3 rooms without bending over. Just stood back and ran the roller from floor to ceiling. I have to admit, I should have used one of these for the last few years.



There was an old non-working florescent light above the mirror in the bathroom. Our policy is, if a fluorescent light does not work it goes into the dumpster. Doesn't matter if it is just the bulb that is bad, they are gone. This fixture might be a bit of overkill for a small bathroom. It was the only one I had in storage. It was given to us by Deb when her and Byron were changing out some fixtures. Now whoever rents this house will have 360 watts of light over the vanity as well as a ceiling light. It is a bit bright in there.


Yesterday I was checking how much work there was in the basement to get the electrical to pass code. There were a few boxes that needed knock outs replaced and an outlet cover was missing. Then I found this lovely wire. I am not sure why the insulation was pealed back and the wires made bare at some time. I traced it back to where it had been cut off on one end and the other end went up the wall. I did get a tester to make sure the live end was the one that was cut. I could cut the wire where it comes down out of the wall but I have decided to leave it for now. I want to see Harrison's (the inspector) face when he sees this wire. I am hoping he thinks I have missed a major problem and tells me I have 24 hours to get it fixed as he walks over to shut off the current. I want to be able to say, " I don't see the problem there is at least a half inch between the bare wires. I am sure the current won't arc." Then as he starts to to read me the riot act, I will say "oh, alright, I'll fix it then." pull out my linesman's pliers and cut it off. If he thinks I am cutting it live he might just yell, "Don't" as he covers his eyes to protect them. 
 I am on a committee for the city of Oskaloosa. At our Zoom meeting this week the largest item on the agenda was, Does this committee still need to exist? I think the consensus was it's useful time had passed and the work could be done by city staff. When asked my opinion I responded, "Do not continue to do something just because it has always been done that way." 
We see a lot of bad "improvements" that have been made in houses we purchase. (I am sure at some point that will be said of some of what we are doing now) We fix what we see as a past mistake. We have tenants upgrading yards right now, maybe because they have been stuck in their houses too much because of covid and want a different place to be, but changes are being made for the better. 
Ecclesiastes 7:10 says "Do not say, why were the olden days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions." 
The kingdom of God is not for the backward looking, we are called to build not be static. It is a call to change your world for the better. We all need to look around and ask ourselves what can I make better. God tells us not to look back and say that was better but to imagine and work for a better future. A future where there is love and justice for all. Remember small changes make a big difference. Who would have thought a 5 foot extension on a paint roller could make my life so much easier. We are not all called to do great things, but we are all called to do things. 
























No comments:

Post a Comment