Tuesday, October 14, 2014

What is truth

I enjoy reading. There is something about learning the thoughts of others through the printed word that I love. There was a used book sale in Oskaloosa a couple of weeks ago. Sharon and Matthew and I went to see what we could find.
Ok so I might have picked up a few books. These are the books that will not fit on my bookshelves. As we were looking through the books Matthew picked up a book on Joseph. The Joseph that was sold to Egypt by his brothers and became a slave in the household of Potiphar. It had an interesting cover with Egyptian symbols on it. Matthew opened the book and looked through it before putting it back. I asked him why he put it back. His response was it was just a retold story and not a scholarly treatise on the life of Joseph.
I said "ah, not much truth there". A man across from me then asked "what is truth?" That caught my attention. Those were the words of Pilate to Jesus after Jesus said “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth.  Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”
The man looked like an aging hippie. He was dressed shabbily and had long grey hair. I said to him "there is only one absolute truth". 
His response was "I only believe what my eyes can see." I told him "even your eyes can be deceived". He was quick to walk off after that. 
What is truth? Truth is we are sinners in need of a savior and that savior is Jesus. You may not be able to see that with your eyes, but it is there in the written word. I do love the written word.



No comments:

Post a Comment