Saturday, September 29, 2018

Turning out good


We had a couple of Rental Inspections this week. 
They are kind of stressful for me and for the tenants. For me because you never know what Harrison, the inspector will see that I might have missed. Stressful for the tenants because someone is walking through their home judging how they live.


Daniel and Brittany are our longest tenants. They have done an amazing job of keeping the house in the shape it was when they moved in. I had not really looked through the house since March of 2016. I was surprised to see the cupboards looked as white as the day we painted them. 

Next on Harrison's list was Neal and Susan's house. Neal went through the house with me when I was checking all the electrical to make sure it was up to code last week. Neal was very helpful and found an outlet that was not wired correctly. We have some great tenants who work with us to get through these inspections with as little pain as possible.
The Inspection program has changed. It was set up so we could buy a house get the interior remodeled, rent it, and then get the outside fixed up when the weather was right. Now the house has to be inspected within 60 days of a tenant moving in.

We have an offer on this house. There is no way this house could pass an inspection before May of 2019. 


See what I mean? This thing has tarps over the roof. If we have an accepted offer, we would not get possession until November. I don't want to put on shingles until next spring when the weather warms up because they will not seal down. I asked the city inspector how that would be handled. If we would only have 60 days, I would pull our offer. He told me "I will work with you, stay in contact." he said he would give us a year extension on any exterior work. 
We will see if we get this thing. We are not bidding too aggressively. It needs a lot of work. Maybe someone will want an empty lot (demolish the house) more than we want this house. If they do they can have it.

Micah and I spent Friday and Saturday working on his basement bathroom. He wanted to replace a fiberglass shower with a built in tiled one. First the old fiberglass shower had to be torn out and new sheet rock had to be put up. That took a day. Didn't help any when we found there was a hole in the concrete floor under the old shower. Had to fill that in.


Today we started laying tile. I cut the tile and Micah laid them. It was a slow job. every tile but one had to be cut. Micah had purchased 12 x 24 tile. Try laying that on a floor that slopes to a drain.


But I am pleased with the way it is turning out. 
Our inspections the last 2 week's turned out well. No re-inspections or code violations. The tenants were a great help. No the houses were not without issues. On one house I was walking out the door when I asked "there is a vent fan in your bathroom isn't there?" There wasn't. I had to call Rich to get one installed, but it was before it cost me $75.00 for no bathroom vent fan. I almost missed that one.
Micah's bathroom is turning out well. Yes there were some bumps in the road the last 2 days. The new shower assembly would not shut off until Micah pulled it apart and put it back together late Friday night.
There are two ways we can look at life. We can look for the big picture and know we have a God who cares for us and is going to make everything turn out well in the end. Yes there will be some bumps in the road. Maybe a few major crashes on the highway of life, and I know when you are in the middle of a crash it is awfully hard to look beyond today and know it will turn out alright. But God has promised it will. God cares for the sparrows and He will care for you.


The weather has turned to fall and it is time for me to head down to sit by the fireplace on a cold wet evening. The radiant heat from a fireplace is a special feeling. I think if we are paying attention we could feel that same radiant love of God warming us clear through as he cares for us and makes sure everything turns out well.












2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For families on a budget, it might be more practical to understand how to earn a DIY weighted blanket on www.familycookware.com.

    ReplyDelete