Friday, September 21, 2018

I want to be in charge

With a slower week I had a chance to read some. I read the book 

It is the story of Sam Wyly a successful entrepreneur. What I found interesting is there were a couple of times when he was on the edge of having the banks call his loans. It seems to me almost every successful business man is at some time in his life very close to bankruptcy.
I also read the above book. It is the story of a man whose nomination to the Supreme Court was withdrawn. Kind of appropriate reading for the politics swirling at the moment. 
I also donated blood on Monday. My blood pressure readings have been rising a little every time I give blood. It was not really concerning me, although I was keeping an eye on it, until Monday. The reading was high, OK, high enough to get me thinking I need to get this checked out. When I walked into our church where the blood drive was, I could feel my pulse behind my eyes, which made me think, uh oh, blood pressure is going to be off the scale. The next day I thought I either need to check it when I am not thinking it is going to be high or make a doctor appointment. I bought a monitor. I checked blood pressure on Wednesday, Ok a little high but not bad. On Thursday normal for my age, on Friday normal for a man younger than me. It is amazing how mentally we can affect out physical systems. I was pretty sure I had what is known as "white coat disease", high blood pressure when medical professionals are around. Which compounded itself by every time I was thinking "it's going to be high" which made it spike.
When I was young I used to be able to make my temperature rise. When I did not want to go to school I would tell mom I was sick and then when she took my temperature, It would be high. She was concerned that I would have an elevated temperature at least once a month. She drug me in to see a doctor. This was back when those old army doctors from world war II were still practicing. They had seen it all. He looked at me turned to my mom and said "throw away the thermometer". Well what mother is going to take that advice. How could she not take my temperature when her poor little son told her he was sick and didn't think he could go to school.
Then I made a mistake. I shared the fact that I had this hidden talent with one of my sisters. Never share any secrets with a sibling. I do not remember which one of the two it was but they ratted me out during supper one night. Royce can make his temperature rise. My mom looked at me with this appraising look in her eyes. Guess what, a fever never got me out of school again if I had no other symptoms. Oh I tried, but she wouldn't even get out the thermometer. She would just say in a kind and caring voice," I think you can go to school and if you get worse just call and I will come and get you." I had gotten caught. Parents don't want their children calling the shots.

Had a couple of rental inspections this week.


I had gone through the houses earlier to make sure they would pass. The one tenant had a clothes rack in front of the bedroom window. I told them it would have to be moved so they had unfettered access to the window. When I showed up with the inspector they had moved the clothes rack but had moved a book case behind the door so the door to the bedroom would only open half way. It had to be moved. They had done as I asked but just created another problem.



     At another house the inspector told me he was going to let this landing slide with only a railing on one side. I went back and measured it later. Yea, he let it slide but it was within code. He couldn't have sited it if he had wanted to. Sometimes it seems people just want to be in charge. Hey I am important and I can make you do what I want.  
We all like to be in charge. We all like to think we get to make the decisions. If we are in business we think we can be a success, then God takes us through the tough times.
If we have to move the clothes rack we will put a book case there. 
If I am an inspector I can act like I am giving you a break because I am a nice guy, but I am still in charge.
We can sometimes change our health status if we want to be in charge, even involuntarily. 
As humans we have a need to be in control. We never want to just let God be in charge. Its' too scary at first. What if God doesn't want what I want?


     Stephen L Carter in his novel The Emperor of Ocean Park writes- Although every believing Christian understands God guides our steps, fewer and fewer emphasize the point. A God working actively in the world makes us uneasy. We tend to like our God distant and a bit malleable, ready to bend to every new human idea. A God with a will of his own is too scary, and, besides, he might get in the way of our satisfaction of immediate desire. (published by Alfred A. Knopf 2002 page 300)


     I am working on letting God be in control. I am working on placing everything in his hands. I am working on telling God what ever you want is good with me, just show me what to do and when to do it. It is making my life so much easier. I may not be very good at it yet but I am getting better at letting go and letting God. In the end it is much more comforting than scary. 

     And I do wonder if I could still give myself an elevated temperature when ever I want to. I may have to try that sometime, I know I can involuntarily make the old blood pressure rise. On the other hand if God has set a normal temperature and blood pressure maybe it is best if I leave it alone.

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of things to pick from at such a wide assortment of prices on this site.

    ReplyDelete