Saturday, May 4, 2019

Someone is watching

Last Saturday Micah asked what we were going to do. I said ,"well the insulation has to go between the ceiling joists so we can put the sheet rock back up on the ceiling. When we purchased the house the roof on the east end had leaked badly. They had replaced all the sheeting, many of the rafters, and the roofing. They had also taken out all the damaged insulation and sheet rock, which was greatly appreciated. 
Micah was not in favor of putting up the insulation. It makes him itch, so I guess I can understand that. He said we can hire someone to put it up. 
I put it up on Monday. It doesn't bother me and it only took a couple of hours to do the whole thing.


Then I went out to Eric and rented a sheet rock jack. It is a low ceiling so I thought I could put up 4 sheets without a jack. I had 6 screws in the first piece when it fell. I walked out of the house at that very moment and rented a jack. Toughest part was the small rooms the jack really did not fit in. Then no matter how well I had the rafters marked, I kept missing with the screws. I do not enjoy running a screw gun over my head to start with and then when a screw hits nothing and you have to pull it back out and do it again it really tries my patience.


Next project this week was removing and replacing windows. There were 5 windows on the west side of the house in an 18 foot span. That is too many windows in my opinion. (remember there are times when only my opinion counts. This was one of them.)


Now there are 2 new windows. The air conditioner was the hardest thing to remove. It was only held in with spray foam but I could not get it to budge. I finally pushed the whole window frame out with a pry bar.


Of course when it crashed outside it left broken glass inside and outside the house. That was not goal and did not make me a happy camper even though I was sure that would be the end result when I gave it a shove with the pry bar.


Today I started on a steep roof. 

 
I did the easy part. Just what I could reach from the scaffolding. Even so, every shingle has to be held in place while running the nail gun with the other hand. It's not easy work for your more mature worker like me. 
When I pulled up to the house this morning the tenant kindly said "you're not getting on that roof are you? You need someone younger to do that."
"Are you saying I'm old" I asked.
"Shingling should be done by those younger than 20". He said.
He may be right on a roof like this. I don't mind a roof I can easily walk and nail down as I walk across it. 


I had an audience today as I was working. A really cute kid watching through the dormer window. I sometimes forget that I have an audience watching every day. God is watching. After being watched by that little boy today, it made me think back to earlier this week. How did I react when the screws above my head hit air and I had to start over. What was my attitude as I was trying to wrangle a jack into a room too small for the jack. What did I say when the broken glass all had to be cleaned up after the window broke. 
Today when the shingles would slip I was careful of what my words and attitude showed. I had an audience. Was I as careful earlier when I thought no one was around? 
Someone is always watching, The devil is trying to make you sin and God is watching to see how you react. Not watching to say "Ha I caught you!" No, He is watching to see how His child is responding in a broken world.
Maybe I should enlarge and print the picture of that kid and put it on the wall in every room I work. Might make me more aware someone is watching.
















No comments:

Post a Comment