Sunday, December 8, 2019

Sprint to the finish

It has been a busy 2 weeks since I last updated the blog. We took possession of this house October 30 and had to get a new roof on the house and the garage after we bought it. Looking back I'm a bit stunned that Jason and family moved into the house yesterday.

Last Saturday Micah washed out all the cupboards


I think he was tired of it by the time he was finished. He has just a little less patience than I do and I do not have much.


All of the blinds or curtain rods were on the windows.


The flooring was all in.


We hung an additional cupboard in the bathroom.


The bathroom was finished and looked a lot better than when purchased.


The front porch carpeting was torn out and new flooring put in.


Got everything carried out of the basement.


Washer and dryer hookups were repaired in the back basement room.
 
Chris and Julie had given us a bunch of cupboards. I had moved them into the garage at this house as a quick place to store them. I stacked them in our storage building. Micah had told me they would not fit. Oh, he was wrong. It took me a full day and a half to get them stacked in there but I succeeded. 
Thursday afternoon Jason stopped by this house to pay his rent on the house he was renting. He had told me earlier he was looking for a larger house. I suddenly remembered that and asked him if he was interested in this one. Friday evening he called and said he was going to start packing. (Sharon tells me if I did that to her I would be in deep trouble.)

Having Jason moving in on Saturday made us scramble to get a few finishing touches done. The rail for this closet door arrived in the mail Friday. It went in Saturday morning.
 As I was driving home on Friday, I thought, oh no, we don't have a fridge in there yet. Saturday morning we bought a fridge. I asked if that was delivered price. Doug said "no". Then he said he was going into town anyway so he would drop it off. When he stopped by the house to drop off the fridge he got out his tape measure and measured the doorways, unloaded the fridge and put it in place. Thanks Doug, it was greatly appreciated. So the hole where the fridge goes is now filled with a fridge.


 We did some work on a house we have in the country to fill the rest of the week. Tom is putting in a new furnace (or just putting in a furnace as the last owners left only the outside case of the one that is there) this week. The front door was going to leak air and all the windows let in plenty of fresh air even when closed. I replaced the front door on Friday.

yesterday Micah and I put the old front door on the side of the garage to replace a door that would not lock. Then we installed 2 of the 11 windows that have to go in. We might have been able to get in another window but we had to meet Harrison for inspection of the house we just finished. Harrison was early and as Jason was moving in the house was open, so by the time Micah and I drove up Harrison was ready to sign paperwork. 37 days from start to finish including Sundays, thanksgiving and days off. That was a quick turn and it was a race to the finish.
This year is almost over. 3 weeks and 2 days and it will be 2020. We are now in the race to the finish of the year. I have been evaluating what I have accomplished so far this year. Not how many houses we fixed, or rented. I have been evaluating if I have used the time God gave me this year to build God's kingdom. Have I helped those who have been in need that God placed in my life. Have I given Godly advice to those who needed it. Have I loved others the same as I loved myself.
II Timothy 4:7 Good News Translation: I have done my best in the race, I have run the full distance, and I have kept the faith.
I am not sure I was always running my best this year, but if I do not look back and evaluate what I have done, I will not improve. As you sprint to the finish of this year and you look back, How was your year? Did you run your best?

No comments:

Post a Comment