Sunday, December 15, 2019

How much good to bad

We bought a house a couple of months back that had a 10 year old furnace in it. I did not open the door of the furnace and look inside. Why would I? I never have before. Well that was a mistake this time. The case of the furnace was there and the inside had been taken out. The question becomes, why? Why would someone remove the working parts of a furnace. They left the Air conditioning coil which was what would have had value to sell to a scrap yard.

Tom and Brandt put in a new furnace this week. We have another house to finish before we start on this one but a least there is heat in this house now. It is never good to let a house freeze through. 
Although as they were putting the furnace in I realized that the windows leaked air and we had a budget for new windows.
So 11 new windows went in this week so we could at least contain the heat once the furnace was working.


That led to another new pleasure. I actually broke a new window installing it. The other old windows all came out fairly easily except this one. Both top and bottom panes broke when I removed them. then the top pane on the new one broke when I put it in. The space must be out of square and puts pressure on the glass is all I can figure out. Oskaloosa glass is going to come out and install a new double pane in place.


I was putting in the last window and the furnace was up and running when I smelled gas. Now kids don't try this at home. I checked for a gas leak with a lighter. Yes, there was a leak. I have checked a lot of lines with a lighter, Tom our furnace guy told me he checks lines with a lighter all the time. I held the lighter by the regulator and just kept lowering it down the pipe.Usually if there is a leak you get a little blue flame, not this time. I found myself crouched down when a 3 foot ball of flame engulfed me. Wow, that was a head rush. It made quite a woof noise as the air exploded. I did have to stomp out the flames as the dead grass was burning but other than that, no damage. Amazing! I think I will use the detergent with water in a spray bottle next time to check for a leak. Might be prudent.



The house, we started on this week Thursday, had no lights working. Both pull switches were gone from this ceiling fan. Could not turn the fan off or the light on. Not real handy.

Work light there now until I get the ceiling fixed and painted.

Kitchen light fixture is replaced with a work light also.  I am pretty sure the former owners smoked. If that is how much tar sticks to ceilings what does it do to a smoker's lungs? It is difficult to clean that up as new paint will not stick to the tar. That means, clean the ceiling and then paint. I hate working over my head and now I get to do this ceiling twice.
The light fixture in the back entry is replaced with a work light as well. The fixture was bad and the light switch was also stuck in the off position. 


Nothing like a good sized hole in the sheet rock. That will have to be cut square and patched. Funny how we raised 3 boys and never had to patch the sheet rock in our house. Makes you wonder just what happens in these houses.

And how exactly did the pad under the carpet in one bedroom get totally stuck down to the hard wood floor?

I took a mud knife and started scraping it up. Before I put too much work into it, I thought I should check if it would come up everywhere. Yea, not so much any where else. I did pour water and let it soak on some of it and the next day it sort of came up. I don't know how much time I want to spend trying to save the oak floor or if we just put a new floor over the top. I know that old oak floor will last a life time and a new laminate will last through 2 tenants, so there is that.

There was a base cabinet in an odd place in the kitchen.


It was great to find out it was not attached and I could slide it to a better spot right beside where the stove will go.
So if I calculate correctly I found 9 bad things this week and 1 good thing, not a very good batting average. I keep that average when looking at houses and figuring repairs costs, the boys might fire me.
I wonder if I could figure out how many good things I did this week and how many bad things what my average would be. More good or more bad? That might depend on who I asked. I was listening to the radio and heard this story of a man watching a video of all he had done and thought in his life, after he had watched it, the video was going to be shown to the public. As I listened to that, I thought "I don't think I want everyone to see and know my sins". I don't think I want everyone to know my average of good and bad.
Thinking about that, I sure am glad Jesus paid for all my "bad" thoughts and deeds. makes my average better in God's eyes.


















No comments:

Post a Comment