Friday, March 23, 2018

Doing the Work

     When fixing up a house there are some things that need to be done. This week I was making progress on the house we purchased last week.


     The floor in the bathroom has to have the water damage beside the tub fixed and it has to be level and smooth before vinyl flooring can be laid. I replaced some wood and put in filler today. First to get the floor solid and then even so the vinyl planks will not crack.

     I took out the old light fixture which was missing the globe and had seen better days. I found this chrome 3 light fixture for less than $10.00 at Walmart. That was a cheap upgrade and it gives 3 times as much light as the old fixture and with the LED bulbs uses a lot less energy. It is an all around win.

    The old sink with the broken faucet was replaced with a cabinet and a solid surface top. Whole ensemble was $124.00. It came in under estimate so I was pleased and now you can actually turn on the hot water side.

     Old cracked tub surround is gone and the tile are up around the tub. Hopefully they will get grouted tomorrow. It will be a big improvement and water will no longer be escaping beside the tub and damaging the floor.

     The old water heater was taken out and put by the curb, someone picked it up to recycle it and I was rid of it. New one is installed and there is hot water. It is really nice to not be washing everything in cold water.


     I finished the work in the bathroom ahead of schedule this afternoon so I had time to lay the floor in one of the bedrooms. This is the first time I have used this brand of flooring. I have never seen a floor snap together so easily. I hope it doesn't come apart just as easy as it went together. That would be a problem.
    So I spent this week getting the work done that needed to be done on this house. I already have people looking at the house and wanting to rent it. There is a shortage of housing in Oskaloosa right now so I want to get this house done before May 1 so someone can move in. That should be easy to do if I keep doing the work that needs to be done.
     Some times I spend too much time doing things that are not a priority. Yes we all need to take time to relax and enjoy life. I know Jesus took His disciples away from the crowds at times so they could have a break. I also know God has called us all to build His kingdom. That calling is different for each one of us but we each have work that needs to be done. Sometimes it is your job that you do every day. Sometimes it is the neighbor that has a need. Sometimes it is telling someone that God loves and forgives, that God is giving eternal life to those who ask to be forgiven.
     I think there are times when we get confused about what is important. Yesterday the denomination I am a member of had a meeting of church officials from all the local churches. They had two items they were going to discuss and decide. The one item needed to be talked about, the other item I wonder about. There was going to be a discussion and decision about who could read the form for communion in church services. I look at all the work that needs to be done to build God's kingdom. Jesus said to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the sick and those in prison. We are told to go out into the world and make disciples of all nations. There is work to be done and a local denomination calls all the churches together to talk about who can read a form. I wonder what God thought of the that use of the talents he has given.

No comments:

Post a Comment