Friday, March 9, 2018

saving water

     I want to start off by saying that there are times when it is OK to save up some things. I think Sharon was a bit surprised to open a closet downstairs and find out what I had in the closet. The reason I think that is because she shared a picture with me.
     Yes I have a few gallons of paint in storage. We use a lot of paint and when the local lumber yard was changing suppliers this winter they marked the price down to $9.99 a gallon. I calculated all the houses we had to paint this year and acted accordingly. So yes I have over $400.00 in paint stored in a closet. But that is over $400 less than the paint would have cost this coming summer. That is a fiscally sound investment. Not everyone who stores up stuff is making a fiscally sound investment. 

     Sharon and I removed about 130- 2 liter bottles of water from the crawl space of a house we have just purchased. Do you suppose they filed all those bottles and put them in the crawl space because they were afraid they were going to run out of water? Did this happen way back in the year 1999 just before the new year when everything was going to crash because the computers would not recognize the year 2000? Were they afraid of a drought last year and filled all the bottles just last year? There were also 10 boxes of water. They appeared to have been under the floor for some time. I would guess they held 2.5 gallons per box. 

     We emptied all the bottles and took them to recycling. If anyone looked into the recycling dumpster they might have thought why weren't all these bottles turned back in for the nickle deposit. Because $6.50 is not worth the time to turn them in when I can just dump them where they will either be recycled or some homeless person will dig them out and redeem them.
    Water is necessary for life. I know we can not live long without water but I am not sure  storing it up in bottles under your house is the way to guarantee you will have water in the future. I believe Cape Town South Africa is about to run out of water. Last I read the water lines will run dry before mid April. It is hard to believe that a large city can run out of water in the modern world but it appears that is about to happen. We take water for granted. Open the faucet and water runs out. Clean fresh water. That is not true everywhere in the world.
    Jesus was sitting by Jacob's well when a Samaritan woman came to draw water. She came during the time of day when no one else came to get water. She was an outcast. Jesus asked her if she wanted living water so she would never thirst again. 

    We had the privilege to praise God with the students at Joshua Christian Academy today. These kids know how to sing and praise God. They look to me like they have had a drink of the living water. Many of them come from economically disadvantaged families, but a man's life does not consist of his possessions. It matters most if you have drunk of the living water. That is not the water that comes out of the faucet or rains down on the land. That is the truth that Jesus has paid for your sins if you will only accept his sacrifice for you.
     I want to have that water and not a bunch of bottles saved up for a dry day, because if Jesus is my savior he will always provide the water I need.

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.



No comments:

Post a Comment