Friday, March 30, 2018

Old to New

 I put 3 coats of paint on a lawn shed today. I really hate that vertical plywood siding. It does not cover well with paint. A couple of months back the rental inspector informed me I had to paint a lawn shed.
    It was this shed. I just looked at him. He repeated " You have to paint that shed". I said I believe the code says 50% of the paint has to be missing before a house or building has to be painted. His response, "it's close." I just looked at him. He said, "ok it passes" I was ready to grab a tape measure and hold it against the shed and count how many inches landed on unpainted wood. What my friend the inspector also probably does not know is I have a seat on the Code Board of Appeals and if he had not backed down that is exactly where we would have been.
     This shed is by a house we bought last week Tuesday. I know it needs a coat of paint.
     Today was a decent day to fix the rotten boards and to get some paint on the building. I sprayed on one coat and it helped a little. The  I sprayed it again and it was some better. That wood just kept sucking the paint in like it was water.
     After 3 coats it is kind of presentable. Not a paint job I can be proud of but at least it looks better. The old is maybe not made new but it has been upgraded. 
     The bathroom looks a whole lot more like the old has been made new. 
     New floor, new toilet, new vanity, new sink, new faucet. The old is gone and has been replaced by the new.
     The old broken tub surround has been torn out and replaced with tile. The old shower has been discarded and a new one installed.
     What was once old ugly and broken has been made new. The stains and cracks are gone. It is fresh and clean.
     The living room has the new floor in. and just needs to have the tools removed and the dust swept up.
     What was once filthy and discolored has been replaced with a solid floor which will not soil as easily. A floor that will clean much better than a carpet.
     The bedroom floors are also in and the rooms look much better. The old is gone.

     The kitchen is also just down to clean out. The entire house has moved from old to new. The broken has been fixed. The house has a signed lease on it and it is time to declare victory and move back to our project house.
     Today is Good Friday. A lot of Christians seem to forget it is "Good" Friday. They have a need to turn today into a day of mourning and sadness because Jesus had to suffer and die. I don't see it that way. I am rejoicing today because God loved me so much Jesus came and took my place. Sunday everyone will rejoice with me but I think they are a couple of days late.
     Let me give you an example of why I rejoice today. If one of my sons was dying of kidney failure and I was a perfect match, I would donate a kidney. I know it would hurt. I know I wouldn't want to go through the surgery and recovery, but I would do it. If every year after the surgery my son would have a day of mourning because his illness had caused me pain I would tell that young man to knock it off and rejoice with me that he is alive. 
   To me today the angels are singing because the saints are entering salvation. To me, today God says rejoice because the old has been made new. The broken has been fixed. The ugly has been wiped away. Today your sins are paid for. And come Sunday we will be reminded that not only are our sins forgiven but Jesus rose from the dead as the first and we too will rise. Ah what a season of rejoicing.























No comments:

Post a Comment