Sunday, August 4, 2019

Take time

Last Saturday after a tenant moved out, I saw the carpet in the bedrooms of the house had too many spots to leave. I pulled the carpet back around a furnace register and could see hard wood underneath 

I pulled up the carpet, rolled it up and had Micah help me carry it out to the garage. 

On Monday I pried up the tack strips. I hate pulling up tack strips when they are nailed into oak flooring. Then I pulled the staples that were holding down the pad. 463 staples. Yes I counted them as I pulled them 1 at a time. I was tired of staples by the time was finished, but the floors still had the original varnish on them and did not even need a new coat.
Then I painted the "blue" house

It is now up to our standards. Personally I think there is a grand improvement.



The color was chosen by the neighbors across the street.



I think it was a good choice. I was going to go with tan, but they wanted some color on the block.

We put new siding on the lawn shed and painted it,



Budget did not allow for residing or roofing the garage at this point. I know it will have to be done in the next couple of years but we needed this thing to start generating some cash flow first..

Thursday evening Tony moved out of our basement.
He rented an apartment in Pella. The timing of his move was perfect because Sharon' family was around and those teenage boys could help load and unload. We are going to miss Tony. It has been great to have him living with us since he graduated college in May.


Friday was spent by the family in Sharon's dad's shop.



The boys did some metal working.



And of course driving some antique machines. I think top speed is 2 mile an hour. See how grandpa stays close at those break neck speeds?


Card games were played


and games outside. 
I started the week tearing out carpet and painting a house. Ended the week at a several day family reunion.
Sometimes I get confused about what is important in life. It is not always work that is important. God places us in relationships. We need relationships. It is built into us. We need relationships and to spend time with each other. God is Triune. He is in relationship with Himself and with us. 
We are called to be in relationship with those around us. perhaps I need to intentionally take more time for people.














No comments:

Post a Comment