Saturday, July 27, 2019

Unplanned

My plan for this week was to work on painting the 2 houses that we have put new siding on. But “The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft a-gley.” ( from the poem "to a mouse" by Robert Burns.) My plans went a-gley. Several months back Sharon went to a garage sale and bought the house. It was an estate. The owner died and everyone had signed off on the sale so we gave a check on Monday at 1:20 pm and went to look at what we had purchased.

Matthew was here from Michigan for 3 days so he started working


All the carpeting had to be cut, rolled up and thrown on the junk pile we started in front of the house.


I removed all the trim around the windows and the floor, while Matthew took up the tack strips.


The pile in front of the house got pretty good sized.


Tuesday morning we made a run down to Menards in Ottumwa and bought windows. Matthew put in the new windows Tuesday afternoon while I started painting. 

Ceilings first. I hate painting ceilings. I used the sprayer to speed p the process.

Walls next. I painted the interior in one day. 


Wednesday Matthew tore out the vanity and sink in the bathroom.


He built a new one to replace the water damaged one that was in the house.


Friday I put the faucet on the sink top and attached the water and drain lines. It is always helpful to have a working faucet in a house when working on it.



Wednesday afternoon Matthew started putting some siding up. We had a few pieces left from the last house and I wanted them out of the garage. Best place to put them was on the house. 

 

We need to put new siding on the house this summer yet so at least part is done.


The doors in the house needed to be updated. They were too dark colored.


Now they are all white. 


It brightens the house immensely 


You can see in this picture some of the patches on the walls. We had to patch the sheet rock in every room before we could start painting. The kitchen light was rusty so I threw it out the door onto the junk pile. 

 

Found a home for the light we had purchased for $5 at the DAV thrift store in Des Moines.

 

Micah laid new flooring. He has 3 bedrooms the living room

and the hallway finished.

I changed out the light fixture in the hall. 
I did not get the exterior painting done that I had planned for this week. We did make a lot of progress I had not planned on. James 4:13 Now listen,  you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.”  
James 4:14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.   
James 4:15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.”
In the end what I plan doesn't always happen and that's OK. As long as God is in the driver's seat I am good what ever happens. Yes I could have been a long ways on painting exteriors but we did 2 week's work this week with no plans. I'll take that.









No comments:

Post a Comment