Sunday, July 7, 2019

Just an average week?

Sharon likes to see fireworks. I could care less. We had friends over on the 4th and went to the patriotic band concert in the square. I kept waiting for someone to say let's go watch the fireworks but no one did. Sharon and I went home and a little after 10 were calling it a night when my phone rang.
Never a good thing when your phone rings after 10 pm. It was Chris calling, "Royce, I want you to know that the (mumbled word) is on fire. It's really blazing." I thought she was telling me her house was on fire. That really got my attention. She finally calmed me down by saying it was the dumpster not her house and the fire department had just driven up. So if any of you are wondering why the fire department and the police and the ambulance all quickly left the fireworks show, it was to go to one of our houses. Sharon and I left to go to the scene. As we were driving past the hospital, the fire department emergency pickup pulled in front of us. I said to Sharon, "I bet we will follow him right to our dumpster fire" and we did. So we got to see the fireworks off to the north as we drove across town. The above picture does not do the scene justice. There were a couple of police cars and several fire department vehicles parked in the driveway and along the street all with their flashing lights on.


I walked up the driveway. The police are always looking at you with justified suspicion as you walk up to these situations. I have found the attitude changes quickly when I say "My name is Royce and I own these properties." Their "what are you doing here" immediately changes to "come, lets talk about this". 

The fire was quickly put out and I now know that the fire department dumps a dumpster after they put out the fire. We went back the next morning to pick up all the charred stuff and throw it back in the dumpster. A tenant called me on Saturday to apologize. One of her children had put a hot sparkler in the dumpster. 

After righting the dumpster and cleaning up around it, Sharon and I headed down to Kansas City for a wedding of friends' daughter. We were trading off driving and neither one of us was watching the gas gauge. I was driving when I heard this ding sound. Oh, Oh, we only have 50 miles of fuel left. No problem right? 50 miles is a long ways and we are close to where we get off the interstate, we can make it just fine. 20 miles later I am thinking, "you know maybe we should not have passed those exits with gas stations. A couple miles later and panic is setting in. Sharon is desperately trying to find the nearest gas station on our GPS and on her phone at the same time. Both are searching and neither is encouraging. They keep giving these maps with us traveling miles in circles to find gas. 
We made it to a gas station. Our car has a gas tank rated at 17 gallons. I do not know how accurate that is but I do know I pumped in 16.34 gallons. I don't want to do that again in a major city.

It was a beautiful wedding and it reminded me once again how much weddings have changed since Sharon and I were married 33 years ago. We were married in Sharon's church and the reception was in the church basement where ham buns and chips were served. Hey, we are still together and I wouldn't change a thing.

We stopped at an arboretum on our way back to Iowa. We had to flee the mosquitoes.  One would think those gold fish would keep the bug population down.
     I did get a little work done earlier this week. This house still needs some siding put on in small areas (notice side of the porch roof?) before it is ready to paint, but progress was made. Earlier after we shingled the house I asked Meghan if she knew of anyone that wanted the pallets the shingles were on. She said she wanted them. I wonder if that is one, leaning against the house. Nice job Meghan.
     So this week Sharon and I heard patriotic band music, saw fireworks, flashing lights brighter than the fireworks, had an adrenaline rush searching for a gas station, attended a beautiful wedding, were chased by, and provided food unwillingly for mosquitoes.  Yep just another week.
     At the moment we are terribly busy. A lot of work still needs to be done before the summer is over. I am looking forward to a little slower pace when fall arrives. Last year, a couple of weeks later than this, I was bored enough that Sharon told me I needed to buy a house. I don't think I will be at that point by August this year. 
     Sometimes it is enlightening to look back. This summer I have seen some attempted purchases on our part fall apart and not happen. We have one purchase that is waiting for some mortgage release resolution. When I step back and look at the big picture, I can see the hand of God. He knows I have enough to do right now and I do not need any more and he is making that happen. 
     I do not know where you are at in your life, but turn everything over to God. It makes for a lot less stress and everything works out so much better. (Especially if I am not in charge. I have trouble just having enough gas in the car).























No comments:

Post a Comment