Sunday, March 8, 2020

Others

Our insurance company does random checks on property they insure. For some odd reason we have our properties randomly selected every year, This year they only randomly looked at all 40 houses. Now that is what I call lucky (OK, we did change the policy from our personal names to an L.L.C. so it might be a little more justified this year, but the same company had all the houses insured in our personal names so???) Anyway Karen called me that we had a broken window at a house. Insurance companies do not like broken windows. It was the house we just evicted the squatters from, so I had been in that house and I was pretty sure there was no broken window. Then I remembered the plastic pieces on the back door. I made my case and sent a photo that the glass was not broken and the door was still weather tight. We will see if the underwriter is satisfied or if they want the door replaced.


Had the last city inspections of our houses yesterday. Now we should get a break until, I think, December when we start all over again. (unless we buy something between now and then.)

We were in the basement and Harrison was shining his flashlight above the water heater. He turned away and then turned back. I went over to see what he was looking at. It was the water heater vent. "That looks level" he said. I countered "It's not, I know because I thought the same thing. I put a level on it and it rises 1/4 inch. Less than a foot long and 1/4 inch rise means it meets code". "Should have a shorter water heater." Harrison said. "Doesn't need one, it meets code." I replied. We walked on. When Midamerican Energy turned the gas on after we bought the house I had asked the tech about the flue. She told me in an uninhabitable basement, it is more than adequate. I didn't share with Harrison that I had doubts and had asked an expert if it was safe.
I always warn the tenants do not have anything in front of a bedroom window. It needs to be available for egress. Well, the daughter had a bookcase in front of the window of her bedroom. It was just tall enough it was 6 inches above the window sill. Harrison was not amused. He was kind enough to help me slide it off to the side, and then he told the tenant "DO NOT MOVE THAT BOOKSHELF BACK". At the last house we inspected, after Harrison left, Lisa told me "he reminds me of a drill sergeant". I said "yea, I kinda saw that earlier today". 

This is the back side of the next house we went to. Harrison stopped and looked at that yellow window pane for a while and then walked on. I was ready for him to say that I had to change it out. I would have argued that is was a decorating choice (it may not be what I would choose but it is the BACK of the house).

We have 2 older homes. The last house we inspected was one of those homes. They are the ones that I am concerned about getting to pass and both of them passed easily. I think they let the older houses have some slack they do not allow in the more modern houses. I scheduled this one last, yesterday, because if Harrison found a problem I didn't want him looking to find something at the other 2.


It is a lot nicer in the inside than it looks from the outside. This is a picture looking into the kitchen when we were checking it out to buy it.


At the house we are working on now, it was time to do something about the missing cabinet above the range. It looked like the last owner had removed the vent over the range and the cabinet with an ax. 


I cut new rails for the cupboard and 2 shelves.


Had a gallon of Navajo White paint and problem was solved.


Got the last floor laid

and it was time to start painting trim.


I was down to the last piece of trim in the bathroom. It measured 26.75 inches. Went and cut the piece to what I was sure was 26.75 inches. As you can see It was too short. Measured again. Yes it needs to be 26.75 inches. I had 1 piece left that was 26.75 inches so I cut it to length.

Ah yes, do you see any difference? Me neither. I had once again cut it too short in fact exactly as much too short as the previous piece.
Went back out to the garage and scrounged through the scraps till I found a piece I could cut 26.75 inches out of.


For some unknown reason for about 10 minutes my brain - eye connection was definitely not working. I have no idea why I read the tape wrong, exactly the same amount wrong, 2 times in a row.



The inside of the house is really starting to come together. The end is in sight. I hope so, I have foolishly made a promise of occupancy April first.
So that was my week. Trying to keep insurance underwriter satisfied, get last of the houses inspected and passed, and start the last finishes on our project house so it is available by April.
I was trying to keep some people placated and happy so it would make my life easier. If Insurance gets cancelled because of a broken window, I have a problem, if a house doesn't pass inspection I have a problem, if house is creating bills and no income I have a problem.
All those problems go away if I can satisfy someone else.
I hope I have learned in life not to be confrontational. If you disagree do so respectfully.
Most people are just trying to do their job. If you make it easy for them they will make it easy for you.
I find quite often Christians want to be in the Lord's "army" they want to be soldiers. I am not sure that is a Biblical mandate. Yes I know about Paul writing to put on the armor of God but Jesus tells us to wash others feet. He told Peter to put his sword away. Be a servant, it makes others lives easier and it makes your own life easier also. Do unto others as you want them to do to you. If someone has a problem with me, I would prefer if they would talk to me and listen to my side before they start hacking at me with a sword. I need to offer the same to all around me. I need to be a servant. We are in the season of Lent when we remember that the Son of God became a servant for us. The least we can do is be a servant by being considerate of others and looking out for their welfare as well as our own.




No comments:

Post a Comment