Sunday, March 1, 2020

Slow change

Started the week getting the last updates done to the house we purchased last Friday


Had to get GFI outlets installed  within six feet of water sources. Also had to get the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors put up.


Monday afternoon Koletin helped me move in appliances. I could have gotten the range in but fridges are more difficult to move. We had to open the doors on this one and turn it through the exterior door.



Also had to move one in at the project house we are working on.This one was more difficult. I thought we could turn it through the door way as well. There was no way that was going to work. We had to remove the exterior door from the house and the handles of the fridge. It had about a 1/2 inch clearance but we got it through the doorway.


I had to special order that cover for 5 light switches. I still don't have any idea what 2 of the switches turn on. I also painted the exterior door from the kitchen to the garage.


Bought the interior doors. This house was built in 1965 so I assumed the doors would fit in the same space as the originals. That would not be correct. I carried the first one into the house only to find it is 2 inches too tall. Great, every door and frame will have to be cut shorter.


I put the other 3 I had in the garage as they will need to be cut there anyway. I had to special order the last 2 as that width is no longer stocked at Menards.


Today I helped Tim put cabinets in the kitchen of his house. He was smart and had the doors and shelves removed. It cut the weight of the cabinets by more than 50%. Usually I make someone else hold the cabinets up while I drive the screws in. Today I could easily hold up the cabinets and let Tim drive in the screws.


He saw I was going to take a picture and quickly turned away. Said he did not want his picture on the blog. Well that's the coin you pay with for my help. I will say Tim and Katie have really improved the house. 

I didn't feel like starting a project this afternoon, but when I delivered a few supplies to the project house I thought "Oh, I suppose I could put up a set of blinds yet." I ended up hanging all 11 blinds. 

At the end of last week I thought I had cut the time down to finish on this house from months to weeks. At the end of this week, one of those weeks is past and there was not much progress. I did get a few things fixed up and done but they were small tasks that I was not counting. 
I think life can be like that. We are supposed to spend our time here on earth growing in faith and righteousness. It's called sanctification. It doesn't happen on a straight trajectory. Some times in my life I have grown in living a more God approved lifestyle and some times I have either not improved or maybe even slid back into past behaviors and mindsets I thought I had left behind.
Off with the old and on with the new. Become a new person in Jesus Christ. These are Biblical truths. When I was young, mom used to measure how much we had grown. She would get out a yardstick and we stood as tall as we could, maybe our heels even left the floor until she pushed us back down. Some houses we buy have marks on a wall going back years, marking the children's height and growth patterns. If you put a measuring stick up to your life are you growing in faith and goodness? I would like to think I am still growing, but I do know if the growth was marked on a wall every year, the growth would be a lot more some years than others. I think I need to work on that. Maybe God even needs to push me back down a little, like mom did, to let me know I have not grown as much as I want everyone else to think, and get a true measurement.















No comments:

Post a Comment