Sunday, March 15, 2020

Parting is such sweet sorrow

This week was a first for us. We sold a house. I had been getting calls and Facebook messages if we had any houses for rent in the country. Our project house was not finished but I had started letting people look at it. I always warn them that it is a construction zone. It is usually a waster of my time because all they see is the mess and unfinished projects. Robyn and Shyanne contacted me looking for a house in the country. Robyn is my Father's cousin Marvin's grandson. They asked would you sell it? My usual answer is "no!" This time I thought "Why not?" They looked. Wanted it. We closed the deal on Friday and I gave them ALL my keys. I have never given anyone all the keys. That had a moment of finality to it. I can not go back into this house.

Before they came on Friday for the final walk through I took pictures so I could remember how it looked when it was finished. This is the entry area.


Living room looking toward the kitchen


Dining area in the kitchen.


Kitchen area. Robyn and Shyanne want to change out the cupboards at some time and I can't blame them.


Looking down the hall.


Bathroom was painted dark brown when we bought the house.


Master bedroom.


second bedroom


Third bedroom on the ground floor.


Basement family room with the 4th bedroom through the far door.


Water heater was almost new and we put in the new furnace.


Sump pump ready for any heavy spring rains.


Karen call this week. She works for the insurance company. The underwriter wanted to know if the east window on the garage was framed yet. It always was framed it was missing the trim. I had just finished putting the trim on a couple of minutes before Karen called, so I could say, "sure is."


They has also been concerned about the missing doors on the lawn shed addition to the house. Well, those are on as well.


That day I also received the paperwork from the insurance company. We have our houses insured at replacement value or repair value it depends on the age of the house. They had 2 houses listed at Actual cash value. I have no idea why. I went to check on both houses  in case the insurance company knew something from an inspection, that I had not seen. 


No, I could find no obvious problems with this house or the other one. I have sent off an e-mail asking for clarification, OK maybe it asked for a bit more than that.



I pulled all the tools out of the house we sold and put them in storage. When I handed over the keys I still had to replace some of the soffit and put up the eves troughs. All I need for that is a tin snips and screw gun.


Friday afternoon I got a good start on the eves.
Its a little hard to walk away from a house and know we won't be back. I have always said we will not be in the house flipping business, and that still holds true. This was a one time deal. 
There is a lesson here though, don't get attached to things. Hold everything on this earth loosely.
We are living in an interesting time. In the coming weeks some of us may become infected with Covid 19. If we do, most of us will recover quickly with no lasting effects. If the virus stays as virulent as it has been in other countries, a few will not.
Every day when we get in our vehicles we do not actually know if we will reach our destination. All of us can be taken from this world in an instant each day. This virus should be a reminder of that fact. Don't hold on too tightly to the things of this world. 
The big thing we should do as we prepare for the virus is tell those you love, that you love them. Think about that aging parent or friend, especially those in the nursing homes. It is too late for most of us to go see them at this point because visitors are now limited. You can still call or message those you love. Don't wait thinking the virus will not come here. It may not, but do you want to be thinking 3 weeks from now, "I wish I had told them one more time I cared about them"?















No comments:

Post a Comment