Sunday, August 16, 2020

It's my birthday and I'll kayak if I want to.

We are working on one house and have another one waiting. This week Nichole asked if she could strart cleaning up the house we have on hold so the time could be moved forward when it would be habitable.


She tore out all of the carpeting

and piled it up, ready to go to the landfill.

I hauled 1 load of carpet and cupboards out to the landfill. When I was there I saw this pile of steel lying off to the side. This tells me the price of old iron must be pretty low when someone would pay to dump 4 loads at the landfill instead of selling it to be recycled.



Nichole took down the remaining cupboards in the kitchen. The house is such a mess I kinda figured she would start to work on it and walk away. I even pointed her toward another house in town ready to rent now. She finished what I had for her to do and when I get the water turned on this week, is ready to start cleaning the smoke off the walls so they can be painted. I think if I were her I would have walked away.


Thursday, Lisa called and I looked at a house for sale.

This is not our usual purchase. The work has already been done on the house. All floors laid and the kitchen cabinets are new.

Tub is new and has subway tile around it. OK, I would have done the window different but we will improvise and make it work for maybe 5 years.


Even the driveway has new gravel. It is almost a turn key house. It does need a few small things changed to pass an inspection.


In the house we are working on Tom put in a new heat run upstairs and Rich and his crew updated the electric. Progress is being made.


I even got the trim up around the stairs.

Micah and I laid the new flooring in one bedroom

and the kitchen yesterday. We use a high end residential flooring now and it lays so much easier than the other grades you can buy. It is also 1/3 thicker so we are hoping it lasts better to make up for the higher cost.

This week Wednesday was my birthday, so Sharon and I took the kayaks out. I know, I do not take a day off very often and I didn't on my birthday either, but I did quit early for a little recreation.
The last year has been a bit hectic. Between August 12, 2019 and August 12, 2020 we took possession of 9 houses. Put on 6 new roofs, laid a lot of flooring, tiled showers, put in new kitchens, sided a house (that was a new low of only 1 house needing siding) replaced windows in 5 houses and fixed innumerable holes in plaster and painted, and painted, and painted.
A birthday is a good time to take stock of your life and all the work on 9 houses isn't really what is important.  
Are you living as God would want you to live? Are you showing the love God has commanded us to show each other? Are you a righteous person? Do you bless those around you?
If every year on our birthday, we had a form that made us rate ourselves on a scale of 1 to 10 on those questions and not how much work we did how would your evaluation look? Hmm, I don't think I will share how I would rate myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment