Sunday, August 9, 2020

Sharon's Family Covid weekend take 2


It was not a week that much work was done. A few odd jobs were finished.
That pile of wood had to be turned back into a drawer. I was able to get 2 of the drawers fixed.
I hooked up a light to a 3 way switch. Did not check the wires before I removed the light that was there. Looking at the box, I thought, The wires going west out of the box would go to the switch on the west, and the ones to the east to the east switch. Makes sense right? They wouldn't take and wires and curve them the other way in the wall, would they? I knew the white wire from the west box would be live and the white wire from the east box would be the neutral. Now, that's not a couple of wires you want to hook up incorrectly. Yep, you guessed it, they crossed the wires in the wall. The old fuse box still hasn't been replaced by Rich and boy did the sparks fly when it blew the 30 amp fuse. Next time I tried it after I reversed the wires, I put a surge protector with a 15 amp breaker in the line first.

I also had to clear the branches from in front of a stop sign, at the City's request. I drove back down the street after I was finished to see if I had a clear sight of the sign. As I drove down the street, I thought, "why can' I see that sign?) That was when I realized it wasn't my tree blocking the sign anymore. It was the neighbor's big maple tree. Not my problem to fix.
The balance of the week was spent with Sharon's family. We had tried a month ago and 1 family could not come because of Covid exposure. This time our son's could not be there because of work and of course one had a Covid exposure.
Sharon and her siblings and Parents were able to attend.
Social distancing was the norm. Outdoor games were the status quo. Horse shoes,
Lawn toss (some missed the old Jarts game with the heavy metal darts flying through the air. Where was the danger element to add excitement now?) 
Throwing heavy fender washers into boxes for points,

hayride with Grandpa driving the old John Deere B (I think it is a B), that was originally bought 82 years ago by Sharon's mother's father.
Projects were made in the shop.

Even a furniture grade project was finished.
The high-lite, had to be the disc golf game. Most had never played before 

Let me just say it was evident on the first few "holes" as the discs went careening everywhere.

But the grandsons who had skill were soon giving lessons.


I had a large window air conditioner in storage and it kept the garage at 74 degrees. Meals could be eaten in a much larger space than the dining room in the house.
A lot of adjustments were made to keep the threat of exposure to Covid down but life continued with a family get together as it has in past years. There just had to be some changes to protect everyone. With family members who work with the elderly and some with people with special needs, to not have used precautions would have been unthinkable.
Can we be sure that there was no transmission by someone asymptomatic this weekend? Not absolutely, but we did our best. I cut the tree branches on our property that blocked the stop sign but I couldn't cut the ones on the neighbor's property. So it was with this weekend we did what we could.
Didn't want to be in the position I was in when I hooked up the electric wires and then threw the switch and sparks flew as the fuse blew. There were lives at stake if we had transmission of Covid. It didn't make our week less fun to be outside and spread apart most of the time.
I like to win. Lets work together and beat this thing. The broken drawers were not going to fix themselves. I had to get a couple of new pieces of wood, some glue and a nail gun. The drawers are now stronger than they were when manufactured originally. Lets, grab some masks, social distance, wash our hands, beat this thing and be stronger in the end. As I said I like to win.














 

No comments:

Post a Comment